Friday, October 31, 2014

CORY STRAND "VERTIGO: A REINTERPRETATION" 5CDr (AOW 246)

Deep ambient reworking of Bernard Herrmann's masterful score for what is perhaps Hitch's finest film, "Vertigo."  I've been really enjoying working with these highly orchestral scores as of late; their flourishes and changes make for very interesting and emotionally resonant manipulations.  In working with this particular score, I wanted to keep the dread and anxiety in Herrmann's score present without sacrificing beauty; the pieces here are at once imbued with a crawling sort of nauseau as well as an inherent loveliness, a call from the ghostly past.  I'd put this somewhere between my Tim Hecker-type constructions ("Marie Antoinette," et al.) and my very stagnant drone works ("Escape From New York," etc.)  The class I'm taking on Hitch this semester has reawakened my love of his work, not least of which is the incredibly fertile period of collaboration with Herrmann.  A thing of beauty and foreboding.
Packaged in a DVD case in a limited edition of 5 hand-numbered copies.  $30 ppd. in the United States, $43 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment