Friday, October 3, 2014

CORY STRAND "REBECCA: A REINTERPRETATION" 5CDr (AOW 237)

Taking a class on Hitchcock this semester has allowed me to revisit some of my favorites in his filmography and reacquaint myself with aspects of those works I had overlooked.  In the case of 1940's Rebecca (one of my very favorite Hitch films, alongside Notorious and Rear Window), that overlooked aspect was Franz Waxman's truly lovely, melancholy, and haunting score.  Hearing it again and meshing it to the film's imagery was incredibly inspiring.
My rework of the score is entirely drone and ambient, at times falling into the Tim Hecker-type blurgaze soundpool, creating grand, sensual pieces of intense emotional resonance; other pieces find the sounds given over more fully to death ambience and grey ambience, massive unbroken flows of expansive and engulfing tone.  The whole record has a ghostly feel that I think perfectly captures Rebecca's aura of eroticism, sensuality, sorrow, and sexual menace.  One of my best recent outings, truly.
Packaged in a DVD case in a limited edition of 5 hand-numbered copies.  $30 ppd. in the United States, $43 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment